Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Thing 3 - google search, QR codes

I am experimenting with the google search app because I already have other google accts.  I like the idea of having all those google features available in one place.  Google search works a little more slowly than safari, though, and there seems to be an extra screen step involved when doing searches, which slows things down even more.  Not sure I'll keep putting up with that.  My biggest question is to wonder of this is supposed to be a google chrome experience or is it a totally different google search engine?

The voice-activated search feature is kind of fun, but not really necessary for me.  Maybe if I had an iphone and therefore was truly more mobile, I might be inclined to use it more often.  I'll keep google search for awhile and keep testing it.


The QR code reader was not in the app store when I looked for it.  I tried a few of the other QR readers  available for free, but wasn't really excited by them.  Since I hate to shop and don't use coupons, I don't have as much use for a QR reader in my personal life.

As a librarian, I thought that creating QR codes might be a fun way to set up a teen scavenger hunt, but the free apps I looked at didn't offer a make-it feature; they were only readers. Plus, I'm wondering if QR codes are still as popular as they were when they first came out.  Has this fad faded already?

No comments:

Post a Comment